Friday, October 2, 2009

I'm so blessed...

We're currently "camped" at the "My Old Kentucky Home" state park home that allegedly inspired Stephen Foster to pen the lyrics to that song while passing through on his way to New Orleans. Its a grand home and I'm sure the lush golf course that surrounds it was not here in 1853 when Foster made his trek through here.

I must go back a few days now. In my last post I mentioned that we were going to visit Branson. My, My. I was right...I've never seen so many old people in one place in my life. If you don't have a walker, cane, wheel chair or motorized scooter, you better stay home. There's lots of "entertainment" venues here. Did you know Andy Williams is still alive? I guess Branson is like the proverbial elephant burial grounds and is where all the old entertainers go to live out their final days. We didn't take in any shows and by the looks of the traffic, the crowds are slim. Maybe when I'm older and "more" feeble, we'll come back and Judy can push me around in a wheelchair. I don't know, maybe the view will be better sitting in a chair. Needless to say, Branson didn't have anything to offer us in particular.

We left Table Rock lake Wednesday morning and arrived at Lambert's, home of the throwed rolls, in Ozark, Mo just in time for lunch. We stopped here on our first great adventure several months ago and again we enjoyed the good food.

Since we left Table Rock lake a day early, we're really taking our time getting to Judy's mothers in Crittenden, KY. We found a great state park on Lake Wappapello near Poplar Bluff, MO. Typical of state parks, the sites were spaced out and we even had a couple of deer show up before we left. Roxie loved being able to run and mostly being able to swim in the beautiful lake. I built a campfire that we both enjoyed sitting around watching the flames dance to the night sounds.

The dogwoods are in full color and the sumac is ablaze. The gums are turning their brilliant yellow. The oaks are still being hard headed.

Oh, I almost forgot! The campground host was warning me about the "narrow" bridge that crosses the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. And boy are they narrow, especially when driving a 38 ft motorhome pulling a car. We could see the bridges towering over the rivers from several miles away. Now this is when me and the Lord get just a little tighter. I'm saying my little prayer and suggested Judy do like wise. I suppose she already had, but you can't risk it. Well we pulled up to that mighty, albeit a very narrow bridge, and what do you think? Traffic was moving at a snail's pace because there were two huge farm tractors (combines) slowly crossing the bridge and they took up the whole width. Yeehaw, God comes through again for Jim and Judy. Now we've made it across the ole muddy and all we have to do is get over the Ohio. No problem. Its at least a foot wider, the bridge that is. Everything is going fine till we get off the bridge and meet an eighteen wheeler rounding a curve on the approach to the bridge and quickly I realized his rear wheels are over the dividing line by more than a foot. What does a person do? Stop!! Shoot, after it was all said and done, we probably had at least an inch or so to spare.

We'll be leaving here later this morning, even though the Makers Mark distillery is just down the road along with Jim Beam and head on to Ms Edith's. She's been cooking for several weeks in preparation of our visit. She did tell Judy yesterday that she wasn't baking the yeast bread and making the fresh peach pie until today. Yum-yum.

I don't know when I'll post again, busy eating you know, but until you hear from us again... blessing to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment