Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What day is it?????

We have been very busy enjoying the beautiful "blue grass of Kentucky" area. This is a much more beautiful state than I remember, but then again I was 11 or 12 the last time I was here and all things looked different through those eyes.

I'm sure we've seen enough white board fencing to encircle the state of Texas and leave enough left over to build a nice house with stables. I can't help but think what an arduous task it would be painting those suckers ever few years. I guess if you can afford those fences you don't have to worry about the upkeep.

We visited the Kentucky Horse Park yesterday and saw some majestic horses and saw memorials to the likes of Man of War, Seabiscuit, Secretariat and many others. I learned many interesting facts about the different horse breeds and was reminded of things that I had long forgotten even though I grew up owning and taking care of a horse. All horses are claimed to have been winners for various reasons. Seabiscuit had a big heart. Visualize this...Man of War had a twenty eight foot stride. Twenty eight feet from front to rear hooves. They had it marked and that is a huge stride. It was fun to stand and rub a Thoroughbred horse that has won over two million dollars and to see the mighty Belgium's, the Appaloosa (no two are a like) and the prize sight was the Shire. It was a noble and magnificent horse bred for the knights to ride when slaying the dragons. I'm joking of course, but this horse was bred for only supreme duty in England during the day of the knights.

This park will be used next September and October for the world equestrian Olympics and are they spiffing the place up. They are in the process of painting some of those white fences by
pulling a wagon around with a fifty five gallon barrel of paint on it and two men each with an airless paint gun. I sure was thankful it was them because I would be pulling a Tom Sawyer if it had been me over there with a paint brush in my hand.

The state park we're at is beautiful. I took Roxie for a walk last evening and just as I approached the dumpster, a whitetail deer jumped from behind it...fifteen or maybe twenty feet in front of use. The deer was scared, Roxie was looking for a good chase and I was thinking about having to clean myself up. It all worked out okay.

We've spent the day antiquing and I've found some treasures. The prices up here make me want to bring cargo trailer up and take a trailer load home. The furniture is unbelievably less expensive than at home.

We're packing up in the morning and going south to Nashville to meet up with Chuck and Maggie for a trek down the Natchez Trace. We'll spend at least two days in Nashville before going south.

This has been a great trip except for the snobs with their high dollar coaches we encountered early on. We're looking forward to a trip over to Red Bay, AL for a tour of the Tiffin RV plant. I hope I get a chance to meet Bob Tiffin while there. Even though I don't own one of his units, I'm a great admirer of him and his products. Maybe someday I'll buy one of his motor homes.

We are having dinner at home tonight after saying our goodbyes to Ms Edith last night. She fixed a wonderful meal with maybe the most delicious corn bread I've ever eaten. She also sent us away with frozen fresh green beans, peas and too many kinds of cookies, fudges and on and on. I think she was afraid we'd starve before we got back to Texas.

Next reports will be from Nashville.

Blessings to all...

Note: I've published a web album and sent to several, if you didn't get it and want it , let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to have it. My email is jcoffman1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete