Monday, October 26, 2009

Is it time to move on?

I have a beautiful place, just what my late wife and I wanted some ten years ago. One hundred thirty five acres, ten acres of coastal bermudagrass for horse quality hay, a five acre lake with bass, catfish and crappie, a twenty acre mature pine plantation, another ten acres planted in pines six years ago, and the rest in mixed hardwoods with multiple springs feeding a nice flowing creek. Today, the trees are brilliant with their fall colors and will soon shed those colors for a stark contrast to the coming winter skies.

I've talked here about my house and how it is a great refuse for Smooch and Lovey, the two queen cats. I ask you. How many cats do you know that require, much less deserve, a four bedroom-four bath house? Each night during the winter, they both look forward to curling up by the fire in the living area and knowing that when that fire dies, there will be another waiting for them in the master bedroom. Spoiled rotten cats! Well, I've had it! Change is in the wind.

When we got back from out last great adventure we both knew what waited for us--work! The grass didn't quit growing, the trees didn't quit dropping limbs, the herbicide still was needed along the fence line, the flower beds needed tending and on and on and on. I used to enjoy spending eight hours a day on the Kabota tractor mowing, disking and grading. It was relaxing and fun. It has now turned to work and not as much fun. My oldest son loves to come here once or twice a year and spend those same eight hours a day on the Kabota and enjoying it like I used too. I think its time to move on.

Judy has a similar problem, if not worse. She doesn't have the acreage I have, but her place is pristine and that's the way she intends to keep it. Just try to maintain six acres or so like its a country club, that's her place. So this is what we're thinking--sell both and down size.

We of course want to stay in Texas and would like to be someplace with some seasons. So we're beginning our search and if you would want a grand place in the country or a more pristine home closer to the city, you need to let us know.

Blessings to all......

No comments:

Post a Comment