Tuesday, September 1, 2009

An honor I failed to obtain...

This story actually began in January of this year when I went to an RV rally for the first time in Cut-in-Shoot, TX, yes that is a real town just east of Conroe, and met a really cool family.

I first met Larry when I walked by his RV and he was working on his portable satellite system. I joked around with him quite some time even to the extent that if he didn't cut that 75 foot tree down, he would never get a signal. At that time I also met Trey, he and Vicky's youngest son. Trey immediately made friends with Roxie so I just handed over her leash to him. Seems I did that every time I saw him the rest of the weekend. He had fun with Roxie and she quickly realized he was more energetic than I am.

Sometime Saturday night while standing around the campfire I met Landon, Vicky's son from a previous marriage. Seventeen years old but much more mature than those years should allow and we fell into a conversation about various topics. I soon learned he was in Boy Scouts and had been working on his Eagle project. I shared with Landon my disappointment that I never completed the "work" for my Eagle. If you aren't familiar with scouting and the work that goes into getting the Eagle, you've got an awakening. Only an elite group of scouts ever obtain this honor. Anyway, back to Landon. Quite honestly, I usually don't connect with kids but then again I quickly concluded that Landon was far from being a kid, even though he was seventeen. Later that evening I learned from Larry that Landon was kind of "stuck" working on his Eagle so I asked Larry for permission to have a scout to scout talk with him. He agreed and we did.

Understand this, you get one shot at the Eagle. One you have to be a scout and two you have to be under eighteen. No matter how much I want to be an Eagle Scout now, it ain't gonna happen.
I encouraged Landon in every way I could to complete his project and shared my disappointment that I never completed my work for the Eagle.

I again saw Landon in about May and he assured me he was working on his Eagle, along with sports, along with a great deal of invlovment in his church and of course the dreaded school work. We didn't talk as much about scouts but I think he understood how I felt.

Hallelujah, praise God! This past Sunday, Vicky posted on Face book that Landon was currently at his Eagle review. A couple hours later. "We have an Eagle Scout in the family". What an accomplishment. I'm so proud of and for Landon. Get this, Sunday night he posted on Face book, I start college classes tomorrow. He's a senior in high school. We all need to remember his name...Landon Sneed. We'll hear it again.

Oh, as far as I know, Larry is still working on his satellite system.

Blessings to all.....

No comments:

Post a Comment