Thursday, September 17, 2009

Is fall coming?

Oh goodness, the weather is delightful. We're continuing to receive much needed rain and its the kind of rain that is a soak-er, not one of those well known frog stranglers we sometimes get. And the temperature is in the high 60's. I noticed once last night the temp was 63. Could we be having an early fall? Oh wait, we have global warming so it can't be so. It must be a figment of my imagination.

Between lite rain showers yesterday, I was able to get some heavy duty mowing completed yesterday. You know, things like the roads leading to the house, the highway right of way that the state never seemed to gotten to this year and of course the fence line on the road frontage. We east Texans are kind of particular as to how our land looks, at least from the road.

I spread (manually) fifty pounds of winter rye grass along the roads so when we get back from our next Great Adventure we should have some nice green grass and something for the deer to munch on this winter. Did you catch the "manually"? That's one piece of equipment I don't have to pull behind the Kubota tractor...a seed/fertilize spreader. Oh well, a little walking and pushing a spreader is probably good for me. Ha! A neighbor always says, "if it ain't got a seat, don't need to work with it". Of course he has a lot more money than me.

I saw another one of those nasty feral hogs yesterday...no gun with me of course. It was a big boar, maybe 250-300 pounds and had that razorback hair sticking up several inches. Let me back up. Before Judy left yesterday, we had our regular session of coffee on the porch before day light. Roxie was very skittish and would not leave my side, much less the porch. After sunrise I realized why. Fresh hog tracks were all over the area where the flag pole is. Ya'll know exactly where I'm describing, right? Suffice to say, one hundred feet from the porch. At one time I thought I smelled them..yep, they stick like heck.

Its raining again this morning, how nice.

BTW, what do ya'll think of our tax dollars supporting prostitution through the community activist group ACORN? Of course if you don't listen to conservative talk shows on the radio or watch Fox News, you won't have a clue what I'm talking about. How sad!

Blessings to all...

No comments:

Post a Comment