Sunday, August 23, 2009

Country sunshine on Sunday morn...

Another great day in the country and f0r many reasons.

We had another unwanted visitor last night. We just wished it had been that ornery armadillo but no it had to be one of those dang scorpions. It crawled across Judy's back and with a swift flick of her hand it was on the pillow. Its dead now. I've told ya'll about Judy and her hands before. Remember Lambert's Restaurant, home of the throwed rolls? That's when I learned about Judy's softball skills in her younger days. I'm telling you, she can catch those throwed rolls and now I know she can give a scorpion a swift flick.

We were not good servants of the Lord today. We didn't attend church services this morning in the country. I'm a member of the local Methodist church and I have been disappointed in the services for quite some time now. Its not the members, its not the minister, its the music. As Rick Warren says, "people are not wanting 200 year old lyrics played on 100 year old instruments" and especially when played where every third note or so is the wrong note and it sounds like a funeral dirge. I know, accept it. Well here's where the real problem came in. When I was Lay Leader of the church I had several members ask me if we couldn't do something about the music. Each time I approached the proper committee regarding this subject it was always the same answer..."but their such sweet people". Yep, they sure are and we pay them well for their services. You have to understand, because I've owned my own businesses over the years being sweet doesn't mean you keep your job if your not performing satisfactorily. This isn't a government job. Heck, I almost fired my son-in-law once.

For the past several months I've been attending Judy's church in Conroe. Its a nondenominational church with praise music that I really enjoy. You can't believe until you've heard it, "How Great that Art" when its jazzed up. More and more people want to pat their foot and clap their hands and make a joyous noise unto the Lord. At the Methodist church I once said amen out loud after the minister said something I thought was great and you would've thought I'd struck a match to burn the church down. I just enjoy the more contemporary services today. O f course, thats why they still make all those different flavors of ice cream.

Some day I'll give you my sermonette on how simple the instructions are that Jesus left us. I don't know why we try so hard to complicate religion. While on our great adventure we attended a church service held in a campground and the minister asked me what denomination I was..."Christian", I responded.

I'll end this diatribe with this little story. An employee from several years ago has stayed in contact with me via e mail and this morning I got a message from him that he was going to join his church. You see, Chuck and I had our differences over the years but we've always stayed in touch and I was elated he had made that decision. You see, when Chuck worked for me, he wasn't exactly the poster boy for religion. On second thought, I was a newbie myself. Point being, if Chuck and I can make it, so can you. God is good!

Blessings to all....

No comments:

Post a Comment